This is the free version of Trends PRO #0053 — Structured Interviews
❓ What You’ll Learn
- What are structured interviews?
- Who built a 60,000-member community using structured interviews?
- What are the pros and cons?
- How to borrow trust?
- How to pitch guests?
💎 Why It Matters
- Structured interviews power scalable media companies.
- Standardization makes it easier to find patterns of success and failure.
- Borrowing trust, credibility and affinity are fast ways to build leverage.
Readers want insights from interesting people.
Guests want sales, backlinks and followers.
Brands want scalable content.
Structured interviews consist of asking the same questions to different people. Then collecting and sharing answers with your audience.
- Indie Hackers — Bootstrapped Founders
- Failory — Failed Startups
- No Code MBA — No-Code Businesses
- Podium Worthy — “People worth listening to”
- The Top — Entrepreneur Income Reports
- Compound — Writers
- No CS Degree — Self-Taught and Bootcamp Developers
- Tools like Shortly will give small teams more leverage without the need to hire.
- No-Code apps will use structured-interview-like interfaces to help you build by answering questions. See Headlime’s AI-powered landing page builder.
- Make it a no-brainer for guests. Minimize the time required and answer “What’s in it for me?” Collect and share success stories.
- Build systems to scale. Document and delegate your outreach, collection and distribution process.
- Add a personal touch. Tell guests why you want to interview them. Weave details into standardized questions. i.e. “What motivated you to get started with Thankbox?”
- Build a Data as a Service company. Nathan Latka pulls revenue metrics from podcast episodes, adds them to a database and sells access.
🔑 Key Lessons
- Borrow trust, credibility and attention to build leverage. Structured interviews tether your brand to others. Unstructured interviews do the same but slower.
- Think laterally. This hiring method is being used by funds to evaluate deals, SaaS for top-of-funnel and communities to attract members.
“Structured interviews are impersonal.”
Semi-structured is an option. Work backward based on your goals. Less structure equals less scale.
“I’ll miss the opportunity to ask interesting questions.”
There’s no free lunch. The world is full of trade-offs. You can have several rounds of questions. But scalability is lost.
“I’m convinced. But what if everyone starts doing this?”
Questions can be commoditized but access to guests can’t. Find the best guests and “snowball” an audience faster than others.
- Who’s doing standardized interviews? • The tweet behind this report.
- How 150 Personal Emails Sparked a Community of 60,000 Entrepreneurs • Courtland Allen used structured interviews to build a community of tens of thousands of founders.
- Crowdsourcing • The powerful force behind structured interviews.
Thanks to Courtland Allen (Indie Hackers), Seth Kramer (No Code MBA), Louis Pereira (Podium Worthy), Stew Fortier (Compound), Nicolás Cerdeira (Failory), Neeraj Hirani and Stewart Townsend (Channel as a Service). We had a great time jamming on this report.
📈 Unlock Pro Reports, 1:1 Intros and Masterminds
Become a Trends Pro Member and join 1,200+ founders enjoying…
🧠 Founder Mastermind Groups • To share goals, progress and solve problems together, each group is made up of 6 members who meet for 1 hour each Monday.
📈 100+ Trends Pro Reports • To make sense of new markets, ideas and business models, check out our research reports.
💬 1:1 Founder Intros • Make new friends, share lessons and find ways to help each other. Keep life interesting by meeting new founders each week.
🧍 Daily Standups • Stay productive and accountable with daily, async standups. Unlock access to 1:1 chats, masterminds and more by building standup streaks.
💲 100k+ Startup Discounts • Get access to $100k+ in startup discounts on AWS, Twilio, Webflow, ClickUp and more.
What you’ll get:
- 17 Players (142% More)
- 5 Predictions (150% More)
- 10 Opportunities (150% More)
- 5 Key Lessons (150% More)
- 10 Summarized Links (233% More)
With Trends Pro you’ll learn:
- (📈 Pro) How is a solo founder writing 100,000 articles per month?
- (📈 Pro) What’s influencer-generated content?
- (📈 Pro) How to build rapport?
- (📈 Pro) How are investors using structured interviews to get deal flow?
- (📈 Pro) How to build audience-first products?
- (📈 Pro) How to elicit stories?
- and a lot more…