“Never, ever, think about something else when you should be thinking about the power of incentives.”
💎 Why It Matters
Token-gated communities align incentives.
Traditional communities suffer from noise, spam and other extractive behaviors.
Token-gated communities build deep alignment between members.
Members are incentivized to protect and add value.
- MetaTrends • Get lifetime access to Trends Pro Reports and our community.
- Poolsuite™ • Grants early access to projects, members-only playlists and merch.
- Developer DAO • Educates Web3 builders.
- Friends With Benefits • A community of “cultural creators.”
- Nouns DAO • Community-governed treasury built on daily auctions.
- SongADAO • A group supporting one song everyday.
- Flamingo DAO • NFT collector DAO.
- Her House • Community of womxn builders.
- Collab.land • Gate access to Discord and Telegram.
- Guild.xyz • Set token requirements and build communities.
- MintGate • No-code store builder for NFTs and token-gated content.
- POAP • Digital mementos for shared moments.
- Aragon • Open-source infrastructure for DAOs.
- Snapshot • Cost-effective voting tool focused on “vote signaling.”
- Rally • Platform for creators and communities.
- Bildr • Web3 tools, templates and building blocks.
- Bonfire • Tools to gate resources and reward engagement.
- Beyond • No-code tool to launch tokens, gate content and measure engagement.
- Mirror • Web3 toolkit to share and fund things.
- Token-gated communities will create and curate content. Together.
- Token-gated communities will collect and invest together.
- Metaverse spaces will be token-gated. See Worldwide Webb, The Portal and Metroverse.
- Non-transferrable (Soulbound) NFTs will gain traction. Thirdweb has 145,000 NFT owners. 0 NFTs have been sold. In-person events will be token-gated. FWB built Gatekeeper to do this.
- Calendar access will be token-gated.
- Allow members to earn tokens. This acts as proof of work.
- Offer fiat and token-gated access. Some communities are Web 2.5.
- Create and curate content as a community.
- Create a permissionless community. Guild has 400+ groups.
- Financial Accessibility • As tokens grow in value, it becomes expensive to join. The floor price for PROOF access is $80,000+ at the moment.
- Technical Accessibility • We’re in the early adopter phase of DAOs.
🔑 Key Lessons
- NFT-gating is simple but less flexible than using fungible tokens. These are not mutually exclusive.
- Think from first principles. Don’t force solutions. You may not need tokens.
🔥 Hot Takes
- DAOs, like NFTs, are primitives. These technologies are defined by early use cases. Although they are flexible and agnostic. A DAO can be a community, company, protocol, investment fund, city, country or who knows what else.
- Token-gated physical communities will gain traction after digitally-native communities. We have unsolved problems in governance, usability and tooling. Physical implementations compound problems. This won’t stop us from trying.
“What about speculators?”
They’re incentivized to add value to the community. To do otherwise puts their investment at risk.
“This is exclusionary.”
This is a critique of gated communities. Not token-gated communities. That’s beyond the scope of this report.
- Who should I talk to about token-gated communities? • The tweet behind this report.
- Delivering Belonging in Web3 • On the importance of community-building work.
- Designing Incentives for Web3 Communities • What is contributor mining?
📁 Related Reports
- DAOs • DAOs are a primitive for token-gated communities.
- Social Tokens • NFTs and fungible tokens become social tokens in token-gated communities.
- NFTs • PFP projects are art with network effects.
- Paid Communities • Token-gated communities are alternative paid communities.
- The Creator Economy • The direct-to-consumer nature of token-gated communities is reminiscent of the creator economy.
📈 What else?
Trends PRO #0082 — Token-Gated Communities has more insights.
What you’ll get:
- 24 Token-Gated Communities (200% More)
- 41 Tools (272% More)
- 11 Predictions (83% More)
- 12 Opportunities (200% More)
- 4 Risks (100% More)
- 4 Key Lessons (100% More)
- 4 Hot Takes (100% More)
- 10 Links (233% More)
- 14-minute audio episode with exclusive Token-Gated Community stories, insights and opportunities.
With Trends Pro you’ll learn:
- (📈 Pro) How to attract users?
- (📈 Pro) What are token-gated operating systems?
- (📈 Pro) What are service DAOs?
- (📈 Pro) How to design airdrops?
- (📈 Pro) What is quadratic voting?
- (📈 Pro) What’s the fastest way to launch a token-gated community?
- (📈 Pro) How to whale-proof communities?
- (📈 Pro) How to gate early access to apps?
- (📈 Pro) What’s the difference between networks and communities?
📈 Unlock Masterminds, 1:1 Intros and Standups
Become a Trends Pro Member and join 1,000+ founders enjoying…
🧠 Founder Mastermind Groups • To share goals, progress and solve problems together, each group is made up of 6 members who meet for 1 hour each Monday.
📈 Trends Pro Reports • To make sense of new markets, ideas and business models, check out our research reports.
💬 1:1 Intros • Make new friends, share lessons and find ways to help each other. Keep life interesting by meeting new founders each week.
🧍 Daily Standups • Stay productive and accountable with daily, async standups. Unlock access to 1:1 chats, masterminds and more by building standup streaks.
💲 100k+ Startup Discounts • Get access to $100k+ in startup discounts on AWS, Twilio, Webflow, ClickUp and more.