Some podcast hosts receive fame, connections and juicy sponsorships. While others struggle to make money with niche audiences.
Podcasts with small audiences are hard to monetize.
Podcast Membership Platforms
Premium Podcast Networks
Podcasts (with Memberships)
- Podcast memberships will become the go-to model for niche shows.
- Hosts will bundle live show tickets, content, swag and other benefits into memberships.
- The Luminary (Netflix-style) model will suffer unless creators can customize memberships. The opportunity cost of ‘show bundles’ is too high.
- Podcasters will form ads-for-equity deals.
- Superstar podcasters will continue using ads.
- Create a podcast that 1,000 people will love.
- Create a paid community alongside your podcast.
- Leverage your influence for equity instead of sponsorships.
- Build a value ladder around your podcast.
“This will never work.”
It’s already working. 😄
“Tim Ferriss tried this and it didn’t work.”
Tim didn’t make his content exclusive. He offered benefits (such as Q&A) alongside free content. The content ‘hard choke’ seems to be more effective than the ‘soft choke.’
- How to Get Joe Rogan As Your Business Partner — Noah Kagan
- Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Put Ads on Your Podcast — Aidan Hornsby
- First signs of a subscription model for podcasts — WNIP
- Open or closed: Who will control the paid-podcast experience, podcasters or tech companies? — Caroline Crampton
- Tim Ferriss Experiment Announcement — Tim Ferriss
- Why I’m Stopping the Fan-Supported Podcast Experiment — Tim Ferriss
- 1,000 True Fans — Kevin Kelly
- Podcasts Experiment With Paid Subscriptions — Steven Perlberg
- The future of the podcast business isn’t advertising or subscriptions. It’s both. — Eric Scott Johnson
Stay In The Know
Get trends first with exclusive notes
- 🦄 Trends #0010 — Startup Studios
- 🌐 Trends #0009 — Virtual Meetups
- 🏋️ Trends #0008 — Remote Fitness (Subscribe to Access)
- 🦠 Trends #0007 — Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- 🧱 Trends #0006 — No Code
- 🥾 Trends #0005 — Bootstrap Funds
- 💸 Trends #0004 — Income Share Agreements
- 🏠 Trends #0003 — Co-Living
- 🎙️ Trends #0002 — Podcast Memberships
- 🍳 Trends #0001 — Cloud Kitchens