This is the free version of Trends PRO #0048 — Data as a Service
You need to make better decisions.
Data as a Service (DaaS) bridges the gap between perception and reality.
- Powerful services will move downmarket. Acxiom now competes with self-serve models like Clearbit. Clearview faces consumer-side alternatives like PimEyes.
- High-fidelity shadow profiles will emerge. Lead enrichment services build profiles of prospective customers. Facial recognition takes this a step further.
- Real-time shadow profiles will emerge. Social media firehoses increase the recency of what’s available.
- Help consumers and companies make better decisions.
- Build a paid community on top of data. See Altan Insights. Users who share interests in data may have shared values and identities.
- Brand a metric to escape competition. See Zestimate, Walk Score and KBB.
🔑 Key Lessons
- Data helps you bridge gaps between perception and reality. The lower your spread, the better your decisions.
- Data is a means to an end. Insights are closer to the “job to be done.”
- The more data is shared, the less valuable it becomes:
- Shared lead lists have low close rates
- Shared flight deals are sold out
- Shared credit card transactions are priced into stocks
- Shared travel destinations are busy and expensive
- Shared marketplace listings are expensive or unavailable
“‘Data are’ not ‘Data is'”
That sounds weird to say. And write.
“All data doesn’t become less valuable the more it’s shared.”
In cooperative environments, like public health, sure. In competitive environments, the model holds.
“The problem is bigger than bridging gaps between perception and reality.“
Some DaaS companies give you data that you can pull yourself, faster.
“DaaS isn’t always about making better decisions.”
Cleaning The Glass customers may pay for the joy of knowing. This is an exception.
“This is scary. What about data privacy?”
When’s the last time you read terms and conditions? We’re trading privacy for convenience.
“Some companies will want data not insights.”
Sure. Commoditized answers don’t lead to competitive edges.
“Data privacy and ownership will prevail.”
When it becomes convenient. Plausible and DuckDuckGo have users. So does the DVORAK keyboard. Whether these cross the chasm isn’t a matter of right or wrong. But human nature.
- Meet Clearview AI • Clearview scrapes billions of images to find “anyone.”
- Crowdsourcing • Tactics to crowdsource and collect first-party data.
- Reducing Bias in AI-Based Financial Services • A look at whether machine learning will perpetuate existing bias.
Thanks to Stewart Townsend (Channel as a Service), Natwar Maheshwari (Mailchimp), Kristen Carney (Cubit Planning), Alec Ellin (Laylo), Sam Schrup (Textiful), Ed Freyfogle (OpenCage), Paul Martin (Integrity Music), Jeremy Abraham (Spiffy), Neeraj Hirani (OnMobile Global Limited), Uwe Dreissigacker (InvoiceBerry), Michelle Penny (Grounded Vertigo), Wit Sumathavanit (Builders’ Sun), Fernando Nikolic (Xeneta), Stuart Sim (FinLister), Harish Garg (Explore Hacker News) and Jasper Sky (Hypetrace). We had a great time jamming on this report.
📈 Unlock Masterminds, 1:1 Intros and Standups
Become a Trends Pro Member and join 1,000+ founders enjoying…
🧠 Founder Mastermind Groups • To share goals, progress and solve problems together, each group is made up of 6 members who meet for 1 hour each Monday.
📈 Trends Pro Reports • To make sense of new markets, ideas and business models, check out our research reports.
💬 1:1 Intros • Make new friends, share lessons and find ways to help each other. Keep life interesting by meeting new founders each week.
🧍 Daily Standups • Stay productive and accountable with daily, async standups. Unlock access to 1:1 chats, masterminds and more by building standup streaks.
💲 100k+ Startup Discounts • Get access to $100k+ in startup discounts on AWS, Twilio, Webflow, ClickUp and more.
What you’ll get:
- 54 DaaS Companies (440% More)
- 12 DaaS Marketplaces (140% More)
- 19 No-Code DaaS Tools (📈 Trends Pro Exclusive)
- 6 Predictions (100% More)
- 10 Opportunities (233% More)
- 5 Key Lessons (66% More)
- 10 Links (233% More)
With Trends Pro you’ll learn:
- (📈 Pro) Who’s using no-code tools to build DaaS products?
- (📈 Pro) How to use DaaS as a growth tool?
- (📈 Pro) Which DaaS tools help you find and value alternative assets?
- (📈 Pro) How to build a micro-monopoly with commoditized data?
- (📈 Pro) Who’s using exhaust data to acquire customers?
- (📈 Pro) What’s the Red Queen Effect? And how does it drive alternative data?
- (📈 Pro) What do DaaS customers really want?
- (📈 Pro) What’s SaaS-enabled DaaS?
- (📈 Pro) Which app turns your phone into a passive data source?
- (📈 Pro) How to crowdsource first-party data?
- and a lot more…