This is the free version of Trends PRO #0032 — Micro-SaaS
“If you build something for everyone, it works for no one.”
Big SaaS companies solve lots of problems for lots of people.
Micro-SaaS solves a specific problem for a specific group.
Built on a platform. Platform risk is concentrated.
Works across platforms. Diversification lowers platform risk.
- LiveRecover • Shopify, WooCommerce
- Leave Me Alone • Gmail, Outlook
- Mailbrew • Twitter, Reddit, YouTube, Product Hunt, Hacker News
- Platforms will clone features from popular plugins. Shopify now offers abandoned cart follow ups.
- Micro-SaaS will thrive despite platforms cloning features. Abandoned cart apps, like CartHook, Consistent Cart, and Privy solve problems missed by Shopify. (via Andrew and Tyler)
- Competition will increase. Exhaust data, like traffic, reviews and backlinks, point to the best opportunities. Headlime faces competition after a great launch.
- Freelance to find valuable problems and your first customers. See Storemapper and RecTimes.
- Find Micro-SaaS ideas in forums. The founders of Memberspace noticed repeated requests in Squarespace forums.
- Build a Micro-XaaS. See NurtureKit, Conversion Crimes and Gloat.
- Offer subscriptions to digital products. See Page Flows, GoRails, Storytale, JustDjango and Start React Native.
- Use Micro-SaaS to reach large markets. MindBody went from gyms to yoga studios to any business with scheduling. (via Andrew and Prasanna)
“Independent Micro-SaaS works with platforms.”
Some do. But they don’t depend on platforms.
“What about Medium-SaaS?”
Don’t take these definitions literally. These are heuristics. Think grey.
“Integrated Micro-SaaS is maintenance hell.”
There’s no free lunch. The tradeoff is lower platform risk. Independent Micro-SaaS avoids platform risk. And distribution gains from ecosystems. Like Shopify’s App Store.
“Everything has platform risk.”
Maybe systematic risk. Ever-present. It almost isn’t worth talking about.
- Looking for Micro-SaaS examples • The tweet behind the report.
- Growing a Highly Profitable & Remote Micro-SaaS • RecTimes builds scheduling software for ice rinks.
- Traveling, Learning to Code and Bootstrapping to $25k/mo • Storemapper was conceived, built and launched in 36 hours.
Become a Trends Pro Member
Click here to join the Trends Pro Community, get this Trends Pro Report PLUS the entire PRO library and the next 52 Trends Pro Reports.
What you’ll get:
- 50 Micro-SaaS Products (455% More)
- 6 Predictions (100% More)
- 11 Opportunities (120% More)
- 10 Summarized Links (233% More)
With Trends Pro you’ll learn:
- (📈 Pro) How to find a valuable problem to solve?
- (📈 Pro) Which founder makes $100K+ per month and buys competitors?
- (📈 Pro) Which companies were shut down due to platform changes?
- (📈 Pro) How can you reduce friction, improve discovery and acquire customers?
- (📈 Pro) How will large companies use Micro-SaaS to their advantage?
- (📈 Pro) Which companies are monetizing open-source?
- (📈 Pro) How to boost LTV and acquire customers for your Micro-SaaS?
- (📈 Pro) How to reduce horizontal competition?
- and a lot more…