“Work begins with the division of labor.”
❓ What You’ll Learn
- What’s the smiling curve?
- How to reduce market risk?
- What are embedding effects?
- Why are platforms extensible?
- How to extend and improve ecosystems?
- What’s the ‘attract and extract’ model?
💎 Why It Matters
Platforms can’t find or seize most opportunities to improve their ecosystems.
- ilo • Get Twitter analytics
- Typefully • Schedule tweets
- Shoutout • Embed social proof
- Tweet Hunter • Get inspiration for tweets
- Mailbrew • Get daily digests from Twitter
- The Twitter Thief • Learn to grow your audience
- Chime Social • Get Twitter analytics and schedule tweets
- Everyone Can Build a Twitter Audience • Learn to grow your audience
- Testimonial • Embed social proof from videos, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube
- PageFly • Build pages
- Nudgify • Share social proof
- Avenue • Update your theme
- Woo Popups • Collect emails
- Tidio • Add live chat to your store
- Referral Candy • Manage affiliates
- Digital Cake • Drive traffic to your store
- Shopify Power • Learn to build Shopify stores
- Build a Shopify Theme From Scratch • Learn to build Shopify themes
- WPForms • Build forms
- SeedProd • Build pages
- Elementor • Build pages
- Maxwell • Update your theme
- OptinMonster • Boost conversions
- MemberPress • Add memberships
- WP Buffs • Get WordPress support
- MonsterInsights • Get WordPress analytics
- WordPress for Beginners • Learn to build responsive WordPress sites
- Ultimate WordPress Plugin Course • Learn to build WordPress plugins
- Platforms will do more to attract partners. Shopify dropped developer fees to 0% for the first $1 million of revenue. Each year.
- Plugins will build across platforms to hedge risk. Chirr works with Twitter. Mailbrew works with multiple platforms. Finsweet uses Webflow. 8020 uses several no-code tools.
- Platforms will continue to clone integration partners. Twitter has scheduled tweets. Shopify now offers native abandoned cart recovery.
- Index into growing markets to reduce market risk. See fast-growing markets like Notion-to-Site, Sheet-to-Site and AI-Generated Copy apps.
- Build a productized service or agency around a platform.
- Build digital products for platforms.
- Build a course to teach others how to use platforms.
- Build a SaaS around platforms.
- Build a Data as a Service company on a platform.
🔑 Key Lessons
- Platforms can’t solve all of their own problems. Extensibility helps fill niches without complicating the core product.
- Today’s SaaS apps can’t exist in isolation. Users expect integrations. Hence the rise of Zapier, Integromat and Automate.io.
- Platforms attract and extract. Low take rates and high affiliate commissions attract partners. Value is extracted once network effects are strong.
“You didn’t talk about how to build platforms.”
Most platforms are in winner-take-most markets. There are more opportunities to build on platforms than to build them. To learn more about building platforms, see micro-marketplaces and managed marketplaces.
- The Smiling Curve • Applies the smiling curve concept to publishing.
- Why Decentralization Matters • Chris Dixon on the “attract and extract” model.
- The Network Effects Bible • On embedding effects and other moats.
📁 Related Reports
- Micro-SaaS • Most Micro-SaaS apps are built on one or more platforms.
- Agencies • Agencies tend to support platforms.
- Competitor Risk • On the differences between market risk and competitor risk.
- Online Courses • Includes courses aimed at platforms.
- Productized Services • Scalable services that support platforms.
- Data as a Service • Data companies built on platforms.
- Micro Private Equity • Some funds invest in ecosystems.
- Micro-Marketplaces • A playbook for unbundling platforms.
Get Weekly Reports
Join 63,000+ founders and investors
📈 Unlock Pro Reports, 1:1 Intros and Masterminds
Become a Trends Pro Member and join 1,200+ founders enjoying…
🧠 Founder Mastermind Groups • To share goals, progress and solve problems together, each group is made up of 6 members who meet for 1 hour each Monday.
📈 100+ Trends Pro Reports • To make sense of new markets, ideas and business models, check out our research reports.
💬 1:1 Founder Intros • Make new friends, share lessons and find ways to help each other. Keep life interesting by meeting new founders each week.
🧍 Daily Standups • Stay productive and accountable with daily, async standups. Unlock access to 1:1 chats, masterminds and more by building standup streaks.
💲 100k+ Startup Discounts • Get access to $100k+ in startup discounts on AWS, Twilio, Webflow, ClickUp and more.
📈 What else?
Trends #0066 — Ecosystems has more insights.
What you’ll get:
- 9 Twitter Players
- 9 Shopify Players
- 10 WordPress Players
- 9 Notion Players (📈 Trends Pro Exclusive)
- 9 Google Players (📈 Trends Pro Exclusive)
- 6 Airtable Players (📈 Trends Pro Exclusive)
- 3 Webflow Players (📈 Trends Pro Exclusive)
- 3 Heroku Players (📈 Trends Pro Exclusive)
- 3 Zoom Players (📈 Trends Pro Exclusive)
- 4 HubSpot Players (📈 Trends Pro Exclusive)
- 10 Slack Players (📈 Trends Pro Exclusive)
- 7 Predictions (133% More)
- 12 Opportunities (100% More)
- 6 Key Lessons (100% More)
- 11 Links (266% More)
- 12-minute audio episode with Ecosystem stories, insights and opportunities.
With Trends Pro you’ll learn:
- (📈 Pro) Which creator earned $280,000 from an ecosystem in a month?
- (📈 Pro) What’s permissionless integration?
- (📈 Pro) What’s the smirking curve?
- (📈 Pro) How to port ideas between platforms?
- (📈 Pro) What’s multi-tenanting?
- (📈 Pro) Which micro private equity firms are built on platforms?
- (📈 Pro) Which SaaS apps became platforms?
- (📈 Pro) What are aggregators?
- (📈 Pro) What are lead ads?
- (📈 Pro) What are examples of hardware ecosystems?
- (📈 Pro) What are complementary goods?
- and a lot more…