“It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it.”
❓ What You’ll Learn
- What is influencer marketing?
- How to find influencers to work with?
- Why are native ads gaining traction?
- What is mimetic desire?
- How to borrow trust?
- How to build an agency around influencer marketing?
💎 Why It Matters
Influencer marketing helps brands build awareness and find customers.
Brands need to break through noise.
Influencer Marketing transfers trust and attention from influencers to brands.
- Beats by Dre • Musician-promoted headphones.
- HubSpot Podcast Network • Supports several B2B podcasts.
- Notion Ambassadors • Supports creators such as Marie Poulin.
- Brycent • Promotes play and earn games such as Axie Infinity.
- YG • Featured Ledger in a recent music video.
- Audible Creator Program • A referral program for influencers.
- HiSmile • $40 million brand built by working with influencers such as Kylie Jenner.
- Fenty Beauty • Cosmetics brand by Rhianna.
- SparkToro • Find websites that your audience visits.
- Social Blade • Get stats from YouTube, Twitch, Instagram and more.
- Semrush • SEO tools.
- InfluenceKit • Influencer campaign data.
- BuzzStream • Outreach tool for link building.
- Upfluence • Find creators to work with.
- Grin • Helps ecommerce companies manage partnerships.
- Influence.co • Professional network for creators.
- The Room • Platform for matching brands and influencers.
- Influencers will launch their own products. Opting for equity over one-time fees.
- Native advertising will grow as audiences learn to sense and skip ads. Influencers are incorporating products into storytelling. Sharing favorite books instead of simply mentioning Audible.
- B2B companies will embrace influencer marketing.
- Virtual Influencers will play a bigger role in influencer marketing. Miquela formed brand deals with Talfar, Calvin Klein and Prada.
- Do guest posts, podcasts and keynotes. Borrow trust from established entities. Podcast hosts extend trust and share their audiences. Many Trends Pro Members found Trends.vc through my Indie Hackers interview with Courtland Allen.
- Use influencer marketing to land clients for your service.
- Offer services to influencers and brands.
- Turn your influence into equity. Dan Runcie says, “Selling music can make you a millionaire but it won’t make you a billionaire.”
- Reputation Risk • You are commingling brands. Embarrassing actions on either side can destroy trust on the other. Be careful who you work with.
- Bad Fits • Does the relationship feel real? Has the influencer mentioned the brand organically?
🔑 Key Lessons
- Find out the brand’s goals. Do they want conversions or awareness? Use this to craft and price offers.
- Influencer marketing is the force that powers music features, book testimonials and stock recommendations.
🔥 Hot Take
- Celebrities and influencers are not the same. Celebrities are well-known people. Influencers influence decisions. They often overlap. But not always.
“It’s influence marketing. Not influencer marketing.”
Sure. Non-personal brands have influence as well.
“This is less effective for B2B companies.”
We’ve seen examples from Notion, HubSpot and ConvertKit.
- Who should I talk to about influencer marketing? • The tweet behind this report.
- The Power of Mimetic Desire • Our drive to mimic is the force behind influencer marketing.
- The Transformation of Commerce • A look a live commerce.
📁 Related Reports
- The Creator Economy • Sponsorships are a source of revenue for creators.
- Personal Brands • More insights on personal branding.
- Referral Programs • A scalable way to work with influencers.
- Audience-First Products • On building an audience before a product.
- Angel Investing • Influencers are becoming investors. Investors are becoming influencers.
Thanks Stewart Townsend, Justin Moore, Jordan Divecha, Brad Hoos, Alex Llull, Kaleigh Moore, Ashwin, Shayla Price, Breno Ferreira, Andrew Holliday, Kevin Lloyd and Yarty Kim. We had a great time jamming on this report.
📈 What else?
Trends PRO #0081 — Influencer Marketing has more insights.
What you’ll get:
- 20 Examples (150% More)
- 10 Tools (100% More)
- 10 Platforms (150% More)
- 10 Predictions (150% More)
- 9 Opportunities (125% More)
- 5 Risks (150% More)
- 4 Key Lessons (100% More)
- 2 Hot Takes (100% More)
- 10 Links (233% More)
- 10-minute audio episode with exclusive Influencer Marketing stories, insights and opportunities.
With Trends Pro you’ll learn:
- (📈 Pro) How are companies monopolizing content?
- (📈 Pro) How to work with micro-influencers?
- (📈 Pro) How to build an ambassador program?
- (📈 Pro) What is exclusivity risk?
- (📈 Pro) Why are companies building media arms?
- (📈 Pro) Why are influencers undervalued?
- (📈 Pro) How to pick a platform as an influencer?
- (📈 Pro) How to use referral programs to grow?
📈 Unlock Pro Reports, 1:1 Intros and Masterminds
Become a Trends Pro Member and join 1,200+ founders enjoying…
🧠 Founder Mastermind Groups • To share goals, progress and solve problems together, each group is made up of 6 members who meet for 1 hour each Monday.
📈 100+ Trends Pro Reports • To make sense of new markets, ideas and business models, check out our research reports.
💬 1:1 Founder Intros • Make new friends, share lessons and find ways to help each other. Keep life interesting by meeting new founders each week.
🧍 Daily Standups • Stay productive and accountable with daily, async standups. Unlock access to 1:1 chats, masterminds and more by building standup streaks.
💲 100k+ Startup Discounts • Get access to $100k+ in startup discounts on AWS, Twilio, Webflow, ClickUp and more.