Advertising alters incentives.
Write for your readers. Not advertisers.
- Off The Chain
- Fintech Today
- Scott’s Cheap Flights
- Explorers Club
- Power Plays
- New types of newsletters will be created. Need an example? Flow State sends you music every weekday.
- Substack will help writers extract more value (and commissions) from their audience. Their incentives are aligned.
- It will be hard to cancel writers. Paid newsletters make you accountable to your audience. Not sponsors or their stakeholders.
- More writers will hold events. Sam Parr held a small meetup at his Airbnb with subscribers. Fintech Today hosts virtual events.
- Newsletter fellowships will become common. Substack CEO, Chris Best, described the Substack Fellowship as a “mini-YC” for writers.
- Most writers will add products to their offering. Paid content is a simple way to monetize. But this leaves money on the table.
- We will see more newsletter bundles. Bundling newsletters can lead to more revenue and lower reader acquisition costs.
- Build a community on top of your newsletter. Use your platform to connect people. Courtland Allen, Pieter Levels and Jack Butcher used this content-to-community playbook.
- Reach 1,000 free subscribers then monetize. The founders of Substack estimate a 10% free-to-paid conversion rate if you have:
- At least 1,000 subscribers
- At least a 50% open rate
- Good feedback from your readers
- Start a podcast. You’ll reach a new audience that prefers to listen. Make money from podcast memberships.
- Build a SaaS for your audience. Jane Portman has Userlist. Paul Jarvis has Fathom Analytics. Justin Jackson has Transistor.fm. Audience-first works.
- Use your newsletter as a funnel for books, courses, events and consulting.
“Reader acquisition costs is a made up term.”
Everything is made up. Stay woke.
- How Newsletters Make Money for Writers with Hamish McKenzie of Substack — Hamish McKenzie, Co-founder of Substack, drops tactical knowledge bombs. Find out what he has learned from thousands of paid publications. And why he recommends charging general audiences $5+/mo and professional audiences $10+/mo.
- How to Build a Six-Figure Newsletter Without Anyone Knowing — Glen Allsopp shares the stories of several six-figure newsletters. Great, in-depth writing. High signal-noise ratio.
- This indie newsletter generated over 10,000 paying subscribers — Robert Cottrell founded The Browser. He shares what he has learned so far. And how he uses an algorithm to find some of his content.
- 1 Company, 1 Employee: Tearing Down Stratechery’s Pricing — Patrick Campbell, founder of ProfitWell, explains why Stratechery is priced too low. With data from 1,411 current, former and prospective customers. Spoiler alert: Some would be willing to pay $18.40 per month or $201.39 per year.
- How My Newsletter for Developers Generates Subscription Revenue – Adam Roberts shares how he went from ads to subscriptions.
- 🌎 Trends #0037 — Virtual Events
- 💌 Trends #0036 — Paid Newsletters
- 💲 Trends #0035 — Profit Sharing
- 🏬 Trends #0034 — Micro-Marketplaces
- 🧱 Trends #0033 — No-Code
- 🔹 Trends #0032 — Micro-SaaS
- 🧲 Trends #0031 — Marketing Funnels
- 👥 Trends #0030 — Audience-First Products
- ⚙️ Trends #0029 — Lead Generation
- 📦 Trends #0028 — Subscription DTC
- 🤑 Trends #0027 — Million-Dollar, One-Person Businesses
- 📍 Trends #0026 — Drop Culture
- 📣 Trends #0025 — Referral Programs
- 🏟️ Trends #0024 — Equity Crowdfunding
- 🤩 Trends #0023 — Personal Brands
- 💻 Trends #0022 — Digital Products
- 🕹️ Trends #0021 — Gamification
- 🙏 Trends #0020 — B Corps
- 🥾 Trends #0019 — Bootstrap Funds
- 😇 Trends #0018 — Angel Investing
- 🛠️ Trends #0017 — XaaS: Anything as a Service
- 🧰 Trends #0016 — Growth Tools
- 📖 Trends #0015 — Open Startups
- 💬 Trends #0014 — Paid Communities
- 🍎 Trends #0013 — Online Courses
- 💰 Trends #0012 — Micro Private Equity
- 💌 Trends #0011 — Paid Newsletters
- 🦄 Trends #0010 — Startup Studios
- 🌐 Trends #0009 — Virtual Meetups
- 🏋️ Trends #0008 — Remote Fitness
- 🦠 Trends #0007 — Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- 🧱 Trends #0006 — No Code
- 🥾 Trends #0005 — Bootstrap Funds
- 💸 Trends #0004 — Income Share Agreements
- 🏠 Trends #0003 — Co-Living
- 🎙️ Trends #0002 — Podcast Memberships
- 🍳 Trends #0001 — Cloud Kitchens