“But magic is neither good nor evil. It is a tool, like a knife.”
Why It Matters
AI-generated content is being used for good and evil.
To create conflict, incite violence and deceive.
To entertain, design and increase productivity.
AI is amoral. It amplifies intent.
Humans are predictably irrational. We are built to replicate. Not to reason.
AI-generated content takes us from the era of limited to infinite leverage.
Making connections that we miss, learning faster and improving over time.
- DALL·E • Create images from text
- Designs.ai • Create logos
- This Person Does Not Exist • Generate faces
- Rosebud AI • Create virtual characters
- Alethea • AI-generated avatars
- Synthesia • Create videos without actors
- Reface • Create face swap videos
- GPT-3 • An advanced language model
- IdeasAI • AI-generated startup ideas
- Shortly • Complete your thoughts
- Frase.io • Create content briefs and answer questions
- Production costs will drop. Watch David Beckham “speak” nine languages.
- Actors and artists will perform posthumously. New songs and films can be made with training data. “Immortality” boosts the value of estates as alternative assets.
- Tools like Synthesia will lead to more million-dollar, one-person businesses. The need to master (or understand) underlying technologies is reduced. Leading to smaller firms.
- Pirated personalities will be used to endorse products, narrate books and more.
- Sell AI-assisted services. Or copy Nikolay Ironov. An AI designer that made $1,000+ per logo.
- Scale yourself. Record your voice, face or writing style. Be everywhere.
- Be a fast follower to a fragmented market. Writesonic, Conversion.ai, Snazzy AI, Copysmith, Copy.ai, Headlime and more are commercializing GPT-3 for copywriting.
- Sell algorithmic art. Beeple sold a piece for $69,346,250. CryptoPunks have sold for more than $180,000,000. The latter is from Larva Labs.
🔑 Key Lessons
- Media is being democratized. If no-code makes you a developer. AI-generated content makes you a producer.
- Code, low-code and no-code give you limited leverage. They require direction. AI-generated content gives you unlimited leverage.
- Humans are predictably irrational. For good reason. Evolution doesn’t reward rationality. It rewards replication. Irrationality isn’t surprising. It’s expected.
“Photoshop has been around for years. So what?”
Doctored images fool us. Higher-fidelity fakes are more convincing.
“People’s likenesses will be abused.”
That’s the path we’re on. Create to combat it. What’s the blue check version of video? Will we “NFTfy” everything to prove authenticity?
“What about biases in AI?”
Twitter took Tay.ai from chill to racist in one day. AI is a sponge for society’s ills.
“Deep fake detection algorithms will protect us.”
Deep fakes will improve with detection efforts. GANs model an arms race. Sensity, a deep fake detection platform, is a test layer. Pass and it’s ready to release.
📁 Related Reports
- Personal Brands • Virtual influencers are discussed here.
- Million-Dollar, One-Person Businesses • AI-generated content speeds up the division of labor and leverage.
- NFTs • CryptoPunks and CryptoKitties are algorithmically-generated empires.
- A Student Used GPT-3 to Write Fake Blog Posts • An early story showing the power of GPT-3.
- A Russian AI ‘Graphic Designer’ Fooled the World… for a Year • How an AI “designer” charged $1,000+ for logos.
- We Recreated Joe Rogan’s Voice Using Artificial Intelligence • A look at what’s possible with voice cloning. Popular personalities will be pirated.
Thanks to Stewart Townsend (Channel as a Service), Uwe Dreissigacker (InvoiceBerry), Shashank, Lwany, Logan Johnson, Abhishek Verma (samkhya.ai), Emmanuel Simon (IdeaGarden), Sam Schrup (TextRetailer), Neeraj Hirani, Lu Doan (Not a Community), Vishal Srivastava (Trainedge), Yolanda Stephens (WomenToDone), John Bardos (IdeaEconomy.net), Daniel Wulf (Wurst Circle), Paul Martin (Lyrico) and Christophe Williams (Cedar Labs). We had a great time jamming on this report.
Access Trends Pro
To save 2,000+ hours of market research, access all Trends Pro Reports and join our Trends Pro Community.
What you’ll get:
- 5 AI-generated Images (66% More)
- 8 AI-generated Voice (166% More)
- 8 AI-generated Video (100% More)
- 10 AI-generated Text (150% More)
- 2 AI-generated Music (📈 Trends Pro Exclusive)
- 4 AI-generated Art (📈 Trends Pro Exclusive)
- 8 Predictions (100% More)
- 8 Opportunities (100% More)
- 8 Key Lessons (166% More)
- 10 Links (233% More)
With Trends Pro you’ll learn:
- (📈 Pro) Who’s using AI to write code?
- (📈 Pro) How is AI-generated content used to generate royalty-free assets?
- (📈 Pro) How are artists being commoditized?
- (📈 Pro) Which AI-generated portrait sold for $400k?
- (📈 Pro) Which virtual influencer earns millions per year?
- (📈 Pro) How can AI-Generated Content be used to manipulate markets?
- (📈 Pro) How are deceased relatives “reading” books?
- (📈 Pro) Which kind of marketplace can be built around AI?
- (📈 Pro) Can legislation keep up with AI-generated content and its implications?
- and a lot more…